So you’ve worked your way up to no kids for a full day! What to do? Here are five semi-local date ideas for those of you that live in the Chicagoland area.
1. Southwest Michigan Wine Country – Our favorite stop is the Round Barn Winery for not only their wine but their vodkas and gourmet vinegars. Spend the day stopping by St. Julian’s, Tabor Hill, Lemon Creek and Round Barn. End your visit to Harbor County and have an upscale meal at Timothy’s or be a bit more casual at the Red Arrow Roadhouse. Mix up the wine tour with some apple picking as well!
2. Six Flags Great America – Gurnee: Yes, I’m recommending an amusement park, without the kids! Grab your partner’s hand, scream on the coasters, eat too many funnel cakes and make your man win you the big stuffed Tweety Bird before you go home.
3. St Charles/Geneva – Take a day in the Fox River Valley. Shop a few antique stores, canoe the river, check out the Fox Valley Winery. Spend the night if you can, we stayed at the Herrington Inn in Geneva. Amazing.
4. Lake Geneva, Wisconsin – Another little vacation town you shouldn’t miss if you can get away for the day. The drive up is beautiful (once you get into Wisconsin). Rent a boat, enjoy some live music at Chuck’s, get a massage at the Abbey. Just do a little research, hop in your car and go.
5. The Beach – Our favorite beach get-away-from-the-city would be Warren Dunes State Park. Again you are crossing the line into Michigan so we’ll suggest ending your day at a local winery or restaurant, but the trails are great… the beach is so much larger than the ones along the city skyline and you can’t beat the sunset.